Make the most of staying home and take care of all the things on your to-do list that you never have time to tackle. These Home Improvement Projects While Quarantined will also add value to your home and make your indoor and outdoor living spaces more enjoyable. It’s a win-win.
Many of these ideas require little to no money, just some work and willpower! Take advantage of some free time if you have it! I hope this list inspires you to get things done. If you don’t know where to start, just print this list, hang it on the fridge and tackle one thing at a time.
- Pull weeds and clean out flower beds.
- Fertilize plants and lawn.
- Trim bushes and shrubs. Do not trim oak trees during warm weather to avoid Oak Wilt.
- Split and transplant perennials and bulbs.
- Order new plants from the garden center to freshen up flower beds.
- Add compost and mulch to flower beds.
- Rake and bag leaves.
- Re-pot and split root-bound potted plants.
- Add soil and fertilizer to potted plants.
- Pressure wash patio, sidewalk and driveway.
- Remove window screens and wash them with soapy water and a brush.
- Clean windows inside and out.
- Clean bird feeders and bird baths. Replenish bird seed. Make your own hummingbird food with 1 to 4 ratio of sugar and water. Boil to combine. Let cool and put in feeder. Avoid red dye food.
- Clean patio furniture and pillows/cushions.
- Throw away random debris and yard waste.
- Clean plastic yard toys with bleach water and a scrub brush.
- Clean out garden shed.
- Repair or replace rotten wood on exterior of home.
- Caulk, seal and paint around windows and eaves.
- Clean out and repair gutters. Add splash blocks under downspouts. Add gutters to your home to protect your foundation.
- Build raised garden beds. Order bulk soil from garden centers for delivery.
- Make your own stepping stones.
- Deep clean the BBQ grill.
- Clean and spray paint outdoor furniture and decor.
- Repair or replace broken or deteriorated fence boards.
- Pressure wash, sand and stain wood fencing and decks.
- Add a new welcome mat and potted flowers to your front entry.
- Add lighting to your balcony, patio or yard.
- Go room by room and remove things you don’t use.
- Organize closets and get rid of things you don’t use.
- Organize kitchen cabinets and drawers.
- Get rid of small appliances, dishes and kitchen items you never use. Or try a new recipe with that tool you’ve never used.
- Clean inside and outside of cabinets and drawers while they are empty.
- Put in fresh new contact paper or drawer liners.
- Clean out fridge and pantry.
- Deep clean the oven.
- Clean out and organize garage.
- Add new shelving and hooks in garage.
- Clean out under sink products and items.
- Take everything out of your clothes closet. Think Marie Condo! Get rid of clothes that don’t bring you joy. Place them back into closet in color groups.
- Sort through kids toys and ask them what they want to let go.
- Start a “garage sale” section in your garage.
- Give away or sell items now that you don’t need or use. Try Marketplace, Buy Nothing and Yard Sale groups on Facebook.
- Steam clean carpets and tiles.
- Wipe down baseboards, doors and frames.
- Clean widow sills and window frames.
- Deep clean blinds and wash curtains.
- Change air filters.
- Change batteries in smoke detector. Add carbon monoxide detectors if you don’t have them.
- Clean out fireplace.
- Remove all items from bookshelves, sort, discard and clean items. Then reset the shelves with a new look.
- Clean out desk drawers and sort paperwork.
- Paint a piece of furniture to give it a new look. Try chalk paint, it’s easy and forgiving.
- Finish craft projects you once started but never had time to finish. Or learn a new craft. Michaels and JoAnn Fabric have online ordering and curbside pickup.
- Repair or restore furniture that needs attention.
- Rearrange furniture for a new look. Good opportunity to clean the dust bunnies.
- Paint walls a fresh new color.
- Paint kitchen and bathroom cabinets.
- Get new sofa pillows or wash and freshen the ones you have. Contact local seamstress Callie Nelsen at Cozy Giraffe to make you some new pillows, curtains or seat cushions.
- Clean fans and light fixtures.
- Purchase new lighting fixtures online.
- Hang pictures and objects in new places. Or hang up those things you never got around to doing.
- Sort through printed photos and make albums.
- Move photos from your phone to cloud storage.
- Organize digital photos and print the ones you want to add to an album. Or make a printed album on Shutterfly.
- Order plastic storage bins for sorting and storage.
- Sort through kids school work and discard/save. Put in labeled bins. Frame and hang special artwork.
- Visit your attic. Clean out things you will never use again. Check for leaks and rodent activity. Check wiring. Make repairs.
Get busy on these Home Improvement Projects While Quarantined and in no time you will be able to sit back and proudly admire your accomplishments and enjoy all your hard work.
If I can ever assist you or someone you know with any real estate needs, please feel free to give me a call anytime. I’m here to help! Christina Legrand, REALTOR with RE/MAX 1. Serving NW Austin and Cedar Park, Leander, Liberty Hill, Lago Vista, Georgetown, Round Rock and Pflugerville.
Home Search[idx-omnibar styles=”1″ extra=”1″ min_price=”0″ ]
Join my email list for more ideas, tips and local info.[impress_lead_signup phone=”0″ styles=”1″ new_window=”0″ password_field=”0″ agent_id=”” button_text=”Sign Up!” ]