Local News

Cedar Park Chickens

Cedar Park Chickens

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

There is an ongoing debate in Cedar Park if chickens should be allowed as backyard pets. Currently they are not.

There is a passionate group of individuals who are trying to change this ordinance. In August of 2013 a few residents were able to address the City Council, but the ordinance was not changed. They have still been working to get it changed.

Chickens in Cedar ParkYou can follow their progress on this Facebook Group – Chickens for Change in Cedar Park.

Many neighborhoods in Cedar Park have homeowners association rules that also regulate animals and would trump the city ordinances, even if the City approved back yard chickens.

Leander recently revised their ordinance to mandate that chickens inside of a coop be housed at least 50 feet from any residence, excluding the home of the animals’ owners.

Here are some answers to frequently asked questions, recently published in 2016 from the City of Cedar Park.

What is currently allowed per the City’s codes? Current regulations within the Cedar Park city limits state that chickens are allowed in 4 of the city’s larger lot zoning areas (zoned RA, MH, ES, and SF), require at least an acre of land, and must be housed at least 25 feet from the property line. Other regulations may apply within those zoning areas. If you are unsure of your zoning district or the size of your lot, you can use the Cedar Park Atlas tool.

What if I don’t live in the city limits of Cedar Park? Several of inquiries have been from residents outside of the city limits (also called the “ETJ”), and therefore are not subject to these city regulations. For example, if you are located in the Ranch at Cypress Creek neighborhood, Deer Creek on the east side of Anderson Mill Road, or Williamson Travis County MUD #1 (ie: Anderson Mill West and others), you are not located within the city limits and are instead governed by a municipal utility district (MUD). If you are located in a MUD, regulations related to chickens would be governed by your MUD Board, and any questions you have related to these types of regulations should be directed to them. Additionally, if you have an HOA, they may have their own regulations. The City of Cedar Park zoning codes related to poultry do not apply to your residence if you are located outside of the City limits.

How do I find out if I am within the Cedar Park city limits? It’s always a good idea to check your specific address since the city boundaries may not be obvious. If you are unsure whether your property is within the city limits, you can find out by using our Cedar Park Atlas tool. The tool is located here: http://cedarpark.maps.arcgis.com/apps/we…

How do I use the Cedar Park Atlas tool? Once you open the map tool, simply type your address into the search bar at the top left. Your property will appear on the map. Left click your property, and a text box will open with details. Scroll down to where it says City Limits- if you are in the City Limits, it will indicate so. If not, it will say “ETJ”, which means extra territorial jurisdiction. This means you are not in the city limits and may be governed by either a MUD or the County, and City rules and regulations related to poultry will not apply to your residence.

I’m in the city limits and my neighborhood has an HOA. Does this matter? If you do reside within the City limits and are in a neighborhood that has an HOA or has deed restrictions,you may actually be subject to regulations that are more stringent than those outlined by the City code. It is a good idea to talk with your HOA Board to see if you are subject to additional HOA regulations or deed restrictions— those rules may specifically address the keeping of poultry in a backyard.

Should you have additional questions or need assistance, please contact Assistant to the City Manager Kimberly Reese at Kimberly.reese@cedarparktexas.gov.


To receive a free copy, submit info below.